This fusion sandwich is the perfect treat for anyone craving meat, cheese, and spice.
"Korea meets Philly."
Prep: 15 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
for the sandwich:
1 pound thinly cut steak (flank steak or tenderloin)
¼ pound sliced provolone cheese (or American if you prefer)
2 big hero rolls
1 scallion, chopped (I like to sprinkle this on at the end)
for the marinade:
1 each bulb garlic, slivered
1 each green onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
handful toasted sesame seeds
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Mix your meat and marinade ingredients in a big bowl, and let it set for at least 30 minutes.
2. Fire up your charcoal grill, or start heating a good, heavy pan and a tiny bit of oil to high heat.
3. Cook the meat! If you're cooking in a pan, you might want to drain the juices a few times to keep your bulgogi from turning into a stew. Also, if you're cooking in pan, you can melt your cheese directly into the meat. If you're grilling your meat, add your slices of cheese when assembling the sandwich.
4. When your meat is browned and cooked to your liking, take your hot bulgogi and place it between your loaves.
5. Sprinkle the fresh chopped green onions on top and enjoy!