Just as creamy, but without the cream.
Prep: 10 minutes
Total: 50 minutes
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup vegetable broth, purchased or homemade (page 203)
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours and drained
1(15-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked navy beans
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 (10-ounce) jar artichokes, drained and roughly chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
crusty bread, for serving
1. Heat the oven to 350°F|176°C. Lightly grease a 6-inch round casserole dish.
2. In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs and olive oil and set aside.
3. In a blender, pulse the garlic cloves to chop them up a bit. Add the vegetable broth and cashews. Purée until completely smooth; this can take up to 5 minutes depending on the strength of your machine. Periodically stop the machine to keep it from overheating, and scrape down the sides of the blender jar with a rubber spatula to make sure you get everything. Add the navy beans, yeast, and lemon juice and blend again until smooth.
4. Transfer the mixture to a medium mixing bowl, stir in the artichokes and chives, and season with the salt. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture.
5. Bake for 40 minutes. The dip should be browned and bubbly. If the bread crumbs have not browned sufficiently, you can broil it briefly, but be sure to keep a close eye on it and check every 30 seconds or so. Serve warm with crusty bread.