A sumo wrestler's hearty stew to fuel up for battle.
Photo by Farideh Sadeghin
Prep: 5 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
for the meatballs:
1/2 lb ground pork
1 each egg
1/2 teaspoon miso paste
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 tsp sake
for the soup:
6 1/4 cups fish broth
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons sake
3 tablespoons mirin
1/4 cup daikon, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
1/4 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch nira, chopped (smaller green onions)
1 bunch green onion, chopped 1-inch pieces
handful cabbage, chopped
handful bok choy, chopped
12 ounces firm tofu, sliced
1. Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Using wet hands, roll meatballs into 1-inch balls and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. In a medium-sized pot, warm up the fish broth, soy sauce, sake, and mirin until hot.
3. Add chopped daikon and carrots to the pot, and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add pork meat ball in pot and cook 10-15 minutes.
5. Add shiitake, nira, green onion, cabbage, and bok choy, and cook for 10 more minutes.
6. Lower the heat and add sliced tofu (do not boil in high heat), cooking over low heat for 5 minutes.
7. Add salt and pepper, and soy sauce if you like.