Homemade bread is the key to happiness.
Photo by Heami Lee
Prep: 10 minutes
Total: 4 hours
1/4 cup|55 grams granulated sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup|250 ml room temperature milk
1/2 cup|113 grams unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 whole large eggs
4 cups|630 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoon maldon salt
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Combine 1 teaspoon sugar, the yeast, and 1/4 cup water heated to 115°F in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Let the mixture stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, milk, half of the melted butter, the salt, and whole eggs to the yeast and mix on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and slowly incorporate 4 cups of flour into the mixture and knead until a soft, sticky dough forms, about 5 minutes.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead dough into a smooth, soft ball using more flour as needed.
4. Grease a large bowl with melted butter. Place the dough into the bowl and brush the surface with melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and let proof until dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
5. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
6. Place the dough on a floured surface, and, using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 10-inch-by-12-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 12 equal rectangles. Brush remaining melted butter over half of each rectangle widthwise. Fold rectangles in half. Place buns in the greased pan, 3 across and 4 down. Cover tightly with greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
7. Heat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl mix the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush egg wash over rolls and sprinkle with Maldon salt and sesame seeds. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing from baking pan.