Fried Chicken: The universal way to show love.
Prep: 28 hours
Total: 1 hour
2 (3-4 pound) chickens, broken down into 10 pieces each (breasts are cut into 2 pieces), backbone discarded
5 cups strained pickle juice
4 cups buttermilk
16 cups canola oil
6 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground mace
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon whole fennel seed
4 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
hot sauce, for serving
lemon wedges, for serving
slices of white bread, for serving
1. In a large bucket or pot, submerge the chicken pieces in the pickle brine. Refrigerate for 24 hours or up to 3 days.
2. Remove the chicken pieces from the pickle brine and submerge it in the buttermilk. Refrigerate for another 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour with the spices. Generously season chicken all over with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in flour, shaking off excess.
4. Heat 4-inches of oil in a large saucepan over medium until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325°F|160°C.
5. Working in batches, fry the chicken, turning occasionally, until it is cooked through and dark brown, 15 minutes for white meat, 20 minutes for dark meat. Drain on a cooling rack fitted over a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with hot sauce, lemon wedges, and the bread.