Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Farro Recipe
Apparently farro is the new quinoa... Not that we give a shit. But it's delicious as a base for roasted carrots and an herbaceous, punchy salsa verde.
Photo by Janelle Jones
Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 1 hour 15 minutes
for the farro:
2 cups dried farro
kosher salt, to taste
1/2 pound baby carrots, cleaned and halved lengthwise
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced or halved if large
1 teaspoon chili flakes
3 shallots, thinly sliced
2 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
2 tablespoons minced parsley
for the charred scallion salsa verde:
1 bunch parsley, leaves only
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 bunches scallions, greens only
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon preserved truffles (optional)
kosher salt, to taste
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add salt, to taste, and the farro and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain any excess water and cool.
2. Heat the oven to 400°F|200°C. Toss the carrots with 2 tablespoons of oil and salt on a baking sheet. Roast until soft and slightly charred, about 15 minutes.
3. While the carrots are roasting, heat another 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden, 4 minutes. Season with salt and chili flakes.
4. Wipe the skillet clean and add in the remaining oil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the shallots and thyme, stirring, until the shallots are caramelized and brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt.
5. Make the charred scallion salsa verde: Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil and blanch the parsley leaves for 15 seconds. Drain and immediately transfer parsley to an ice bath. Drain again, then squeeze out all of the liquid. Transfer to a blender along with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and purée until smooth.
6. Heat the oven broiler and toss the scallions with the remaining oil on a baking sheet. Cook the scallions, without flipping them, until charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Cool, then thinly slice. Add them to a bowl with the parsley purée, vinegar, truffles, and salt.
7. To serve, place the farro on a serving platter. Top with the carrots, mushrooms, and shallots and drizzle with the salsa verde.