The richness of cheesecake and the decadence of chocolate combine in the most perfect brownie ever.
Prep: 25 minutes
Total: 1 hour 25 minutes
for the brownie:
9 ounces unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
9 ounces dark chocolate
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
for the cheesecake:
5 1/2 ounces cream cheese
5 tablespoons crème fraîche
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1. Heat oven to 350°F|176°C. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside.
2. Make the brownie base: Pour enough water into a 4-quart saucepan that it reaches a depth of 1-inch. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Combine the butter and chocolate in a medium bowl and set the bowl over the saucepan. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and the eggs until pale and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chocolate mixture until smooth, then the flour, and set aside.
4. Make the cheesecake base: In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, creme fraiche, sugar, and egg until smooth.
5. Pour the chocolate base into the prepared baking dish and swirl the cheesecake base throughout. Bake until lightly set, about 1 hour. Cool for 1 hour before slicing. Bon appétit!