Gluten-Free Spicy Fried Chicken
Perfect fried chicken at home couldn't get any easier with this simple recipe from Matty Matheson.
Prep: 15 minutes
Total: 45 minutes
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
1 rib celery, diced
2 dill pickles, diced
1 small white Spanish onion, diced
1/2 head green cabbage, diced
zest of 1 lemon
kosher salt, to taste
2 corn on the cob
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 chicken, quartered
5 cloves garlic, skin-on, smashed
1 tablespoons smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground celery
1. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, parsley, lemon juice, celery, pickles, onion, cabbage, lemon zest, and salt and mix well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use. Don't use this the next day (or do, whatever), but just be aware that because of the onion, the longer this sits, the stronger the taste of the onion will get. If you want to make it ahead of time, add the onion in last minute.
2. Remove the husk from the corn and cut each ear of corn in thirds. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the corn and cook 5 minutes. Remove the corn from the heat and transfer to aluminum foil, seasoning each ear of corn with 1 pat of butter and ¼ teaspoon of each salt and pepper.
3. Bring a large sauté pan or Dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add enough vegetable oil to create a 2-inch layer of vegetable oil in the pan, about 2 cups. Pat dry the chicken with paper towels and season with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. When the oil hot, place the chicken into the oil, using tongs. Cool on one side for 5 to 6 minutes until golden brown. Cook for 5 to 6 more minutes on each side, until cooked through. Throw the garlic into the oil and cook for 3 minutes longer.
4. When the chicken is cooked, place it in a large bowl. Sprinkle the spices onto the chicken. Carefully, toss to coat evenly with the spice blend.
5. Serve the chicken evenly between two plates. Serve the corn and coleslaw on the side. Cut the lemon into wedges and serve with the chicken.