Lamb Loin Chops with Yogurt Sauce
Served alongside some fresh and roasted vegetables and a strawberry and honeyed yogurt, this recipe is guaranteed to win you over.
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1/4 cup full-fat greek yogurt
1/2 ounce strawberries, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon verbena, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon mint, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sumac
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 serrano, seeded and minced
1 shallot, half grated, half thinly sliced
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 (6-ounce) lamb loin chops
1/4 cup raw cashews
8 hakurei turnips, greens separated and thinly sliced
10 sour gherkins, quartered
2 tablespoons babaghanoush
1 tablespoon scallion greens, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
zest of 1 lemon
1. In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and grind to a powder and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of the ground cumin, half of the strawberries, the honey, lemon verbena, mint, sumac, lemon juice, serrano, the grated shallot, salt, and pepper.
3. Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Season the lamb with the ground cumin, salt, and pepper and cook, turning once, until cooked to desired temperature. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.
4. Add the cashews to the skillet and cook until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to a small bowl.
5. Add the turnips, salt, and pepper, and cook until golden and slightly soft, about 4 minutes. Add the gherkins and cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a plate.
6. Add the sliced shallot and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining berries and the turnip greens, along with the babaghanoush and scallion greens, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
7. To serve, divide the shallot and turnip green mixture and the turnips between two plates. Top each with lamb and some of the yogurt mixture. Sprinkle with the cashews and zest some lemon over the top. Garnish with cucumber and scallion greens.