Sweet Samhain Buttermilk Bread
Ring in Samhain with this sweet buttermilk bread recipe.
Prep: 30 minutes
4 mugs strong white flour
500 ml buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 dessert spoons honey
3 dessert spoons golden syrup
2 handfuls mixed dried fruit
1 handful mixed peel
3 pieces of stem ginger, roughly chopped (the kind you get in syrup)
chopped walnuts and rich brown sugar, for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon salt
one purple ribbon
one red ribbon
1. Place sieve flour, salt, baking soda, fruit, ginger, and peel in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Shake buttermilk carton pop into a jug. Add honey and golden syrup.
2. Stir well and pour into the centre leaving a little for glazing. Mix with your hands until springy.
3. Then turn on to a floured board and pat with both hands into a round shape.
4. Glaze the top with your mixture and sprinkle with chopped nuts and sugar. Place on a greased baking tray and pop into a moderate oven for about 20-25 minutes.
5. Keep a watchful eye on it when ready your bread will change colour and sound hollow when you tap the bottom.
6. When the bread has cooled but still a little warm wrap with greaseproof paper and tie your ribbons across the top in a bow. Best eaten warm, but it also reheats really well.