This Spanish paella is packed with flavor, from tender chicken and saffron to mussels, clams, and chorizo. What are you doing–get up and make it already.
Prep: 1 hour 35 minutes
for the sofregit:
1 white onion, small diced
2 cups tomato paste
for the paella:
2 garlic cloves
¼ red pepper, diced
¼ cups scallion bottoms, thinly sliced
1 cup chicken breast/thigh meat
1 cup Spanish chorizo, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup Calasparra/Bomba Rice
10 saffron threads
1 ½ cup lobster stock
1 ½ cup chicken stock
1 ½ cup vegetable stock
5 top neck/count neck clams
½ cup English peas
¼ cup scallion tops, sliced
olive oil and sea salt, to garnish
1. First, make the sofregit by cooking the onion in olive oil until translucent. Add 2 cups of tomato paste and slowly toast down for 5 minutes.
2. Combine garlic, onion, sofregit, scallion bottoms, chicken, chorizo, salt, and pepper in paella pan. Sautée over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add rice and saffron and stir around, evenly coating. Toast for 4 to 5 minutes. Evenly distribute/flatten out rice in pan. Add all stocks and turn the heat up to high. Once boiling, add the clams and cook 5 to 10 minutes until they open and rice grains are clearly visible.
4. Add mussels and turn down to medium heat. Once mussels open, add shrimp and peas and keep on medium heat until shrimp and rice are cooked, creating a crispy bottom called "socarrat." Add stock as necessary. In last 5 minutes, add in English peas.
5. Garnish with olive oil, scallion tops, and sea salt. Enjoy immediately.