Preserved lemon, spicy n'duja, fennel seeds, and a tomato broth give simple mussels and clams a nice makeover.
Prep: 20 minutes
½ cup n´duja
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
½ tablespoon chopped, preserved lemon
½ cup white wine
½ Tasse Weißwein
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon tomato sauce
¼ cup lobster broth
¼ cups vegetable broth
1. Chef's Note: The n'duja in this recipe is made in house. You can purchase premade n'duja at the store or market. The preserved lemon in this recipe is made in house. You can purchase preserved lemons at the store or market.
2. In a stainless sauté pan render the n'duja and ground fennel over medium to high heat.
3. Once the n'duja is rendered, add the garlic, shallots, and the preserved lemons. Cook them for 3 minutes.
4. Add the lemon juice, mussels, and clams to pan. Cook them for 2 minutes, then add the white wine and tomato sauce. Reduce the white wine to thicken the broth.
5. Once the white wine is reduced, add the lobster stock and vegetable stock, then cover the sauté pan to create steam. Cook the mussels and clams for about 5 minutes or until all the shells are open.
6. Serve in a hot bowl. Finish the mussels and clams with a pinch of fennel pollen and chopped parsley on top. Serve with 2 pieces of grilled bread rubbed with garlic.